Compare and contrast each of these costing structures and provide examples from industry or companies as to how each costing system may be used.
Learning Engagement, Week 2:
- Compare and contrast each of these costing structures and provide examples from industry or companies as to how each costing system may be used.
- What are similarities and differences that companies use these systems to monitor?
PROFESSOR’S GUIDANCE FOR THIS WEEK’S LE:
This week we studied two main costing methods: job-order costing and process costing. Companies can use either method depending on what they are manufacturing for sale. You might also have companies that utilize both where they manufacture both custom/unique items and standard products. For example, Nike makes sports/active wear for the average consumer as well as special-order/unique items for specific colleges/professional teams.
It is important to understand the differences of these cost systems as they are geared towards what the company is making. For example, Lays, Inc. uses mainly a process costing system in the making of potato chips. Batches are created for different flavors or types of chips manufactured. While each batch may be different flavors, the process overall is homogenous in contrast to job-order costing. Job-order costing is focused more on unique or one of a kind product. Swimming pool construction is a job-order costing process. Even though the basic process of digging a hole, lining it with rebar, plastering, and finishing is approximately the same, there are unique features to consider. Size, shape, color of plaster, color of decorative tile/stone create that uniqueness which must be tracked for each job.
1. Please make sure that you read the relevant chapter from the textbook
2. Watch the YouTube videos for this week and additional course material provide
3. Ensure that you can communicate your point of view clearly and without ambiguity. Provide one example to strengthen your point of view in the main discussion.
General Discussion Notes: Applicable each week:
- Each weekly session for this course begins on a Monday and concludes the following Sunday. Each week your Initial Posting to the Learning Engagement is due by Wednesday, 11:55pm PST. In that Initial Posting you will respond to the discussion question(s) posed In Each Learning Engagement.
- You are expected to provide not only deep discussions on the initial post, but also substantive responses to your peers.
- Your initial post will be a minimum of 200-400 words or 3 paragraphs and should include insights and concepts from the week’s reading. While you may be asked to provide an opinion, your position must be supported by evidence. Each initial post will have at least 2 references (textbook and another independent source).
- You are required to post to a minimum of 2 peer responses. Responses to your peers’ posts to this topic question(s) should be no less that 200-300 words or a minimum of 2 paragraphs and should respond to a particular comment in your peers’ discussion. You can agree, extend or expand on your peers’ post, or respectfully disagree. Again, you must support your position through evidence. Each response to your peers will have at least 1 reference that supports your argument.
- I may engage you in discussion as well, and I will count any further responses to me during the week (after your Initial Posting) as one of your responses to others.
- You should participate on multiple days of the week, and do not save all your postings for Sunday. That way other students (and I) can engage you in back-and-forth discussion.
- Be sure to proofread carefully (Use Grammarly – the premium version! Make sure your writing score is more than 90) and cite your sources (APA 7.0 ed).
NOTE: Total maximum score = 30 points
- Post your initial post by Wednesday 11:55 pm to earn a maximum of 14 points.
- Offer at least two 200-300-word comments (replies) to posts from your peers’ discussions by Sunday 11:55 pm to earn a maximum of 8 points each.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."